CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Hear ye! Hear ye!

Calais Emmeline Hannon is here!!!
January 8, 2014 5:06 pm
6 lbs 11 oz
19 inches long

First official photo!

Zack and I are so excited to announce the arrival of Calais Emmeline Hannon. Our most beautiful and perfect angel is finally here and we couldn't be more excited! She is precious and is the most wonderful thing that we have ever done.

Getting her here was the longest and hardest thing that I have ever done but the most rewarding and fulfilling. After it all started with a kiss, 9 months ago, January 8, 2014 was the big day.

On Monday, Jan 6, I went in for a regular checkup with my OB/GYN. As usual I was miserable and huge. During my check-up my Dr. noticed that Calais was not moving like she normally did at my appointments. My Dr. is amazing! Dr. Andrea Herbert at, Intermountain Medical Center, has such a good bedside manner and has shown a genuine concern not only for me but for Cali as well.She sent me over to maternal fetal medicine for a non-stress test to see how the little lady was doing. The test found that Cali was doing just fine but that mommy was losing amniotic fluid and little Miss was swimming in less than adequate surroundings.  After consulting the neo-natal physician on call, they determined that I had to be induced and get Cali here before her due date (1/16/14) and they would start me the next evening, Tues, Jan 7. Needless to say I was overjoyed at the thought of meeting my baby so soon but kinda scared that things would move slowly and take forever. I had some serious mixed emotions and went from uncomfortable to anxious in 3 seconds flat! Baby was coming, ready or not!

Ready to pop!

The hospital told me that they would be calling me sometime in the morning to let me know when to come in and I went home and started packing and cleaning like a mad woman. I'll admit it, I hadn't packed a bad or really gotten anything ready. Just call me 'Lady Procrastination'. I got the call to go in around 7:20 pm on Tues and Zack and I were at the hospital and settled by 7:50. They started me on fluids right away and induced me about an hour later. That night was a mix between exhiliration and terror. I was in a lot of pain but kept visualizing the end result. Cali's heart rate jumped up and stayed up at one point and I had to be on oxygen for a little while. Little miss didn't like having all the medicine in there with her. :( 

Around 7am the next day, the Dr broke my water and started me on pitocin, a medicine to help contractions start. At first I felt in complete control of my body but as the contractions got closer together and a whole lot stronger, I realized that this delivery wouldn't be going the way I imagined it would. Luckily for me, I had Zack there to rub my back and feet; my mom, to talk to me about her deliveries and keep me focused on breathing; and Kim, the nurse. 

Nurse Kim is the absolute best!

Kim was AMAZING!!! She was so kind and helpful. She knew that I had a medical background so she didn't sugar coat things and explained things in a way that made me feel empowered. She was the most wonderful person to have take charge in that room and I am forever going to be grateful for her. She was the biggest advocate for me getting an epidural. I think she knew how much I wanted to have an all natural delivery but she could also see how hard my body was working. I believe she knew that if I didn't get an epidural, I wouldn't have the strength to truly experience the birth of my daughter.

At around 1:30pm, when the contractions were almost unbearable and I had been crying for a while, Kim gently put her hands on my knees and told me, "Allie, there is no shame in getting an epidural. You are really brave to try this without one but your body is so tired and you need to rest. Please consider the epidural." She never broke eye contact with me and I felt as if she truly cared about me. Like I was the most important person to her at that moment. I looked around the room at Zack and my mom and they both nodded in agreement. My mom told me she felt the same way as Kim and Zack had a look of concern and terror on his face that I took to mean, 'please get one!" I cried for a minute; I had really wanted to do it all on my own, but I knew that they were right and that I had to realize that I wasn't weak. I was strong. I was doing something amazing and something that I had wanted for so long. Getting an epidural wouldn't take anything from that experience. It would give me a chance to really enjoy the process of bringing my daughter into this world.

After I got the epidural, things calmed down right away. I relaxed and was able to sleep. Zack and my mom chatted while I snoozed and then went and got something to eat when Kim came back in to check on my progress around 3:30. Kim informed me that I was fully dialated and that I would be able to push really soon. I called Zack and told him the news. He and my mom were back in my room less than 5 mins later. I think Zack's nerves were starting to set in. Kim started setting up the equipment needed and informed my Dr what was going on. We notified my Dad and he made his way to SLC. 

At 4 Kim informed us that it was time to start pushing. My mom left to wait in the lobby for my dad, leaving me and Zack to do this on our own. I was so nervous! I pushed for 40 mins before my Dr came in to take over. I felt really safe and secure. I had my Dr, doing her thing; Kim, holding one leg and counting; and Zack, holding my hand and my other leg. I had quite the team!

At 5:06 pm my daughter came into this world. They set her on my chest and I couldn't help but cry. Those next few moments were so special and spiritual that I can't even describe them. It was such a fulfilling and uplifting experience. I thank my Heavenly Father for that wonderful, miraculous experience. Never had I felt so powerful and womanly. I did it! Zack and I were parents. We fell in love with her at first sight and knew that we would never be the same. We were a family.

Stretch it out! Things aren't as cramped anymore.

We get to go home! Thanks IMC, it's been a real slice!

The next few hours were spent loving on our princess and introducing her to her adoring public. Her birth marked an amazing milestone for me. I was a mother now. There was no turning back. I couldn't see how I had ever gotten by in life without her before then. She is perfect and completes me. My love for her knows no bounds or limits. I would do an will do anything for her. She has our hearts and has Zack wrapped around her little finger. She is the first grandchild and great-grandchild on my side and, on top of being already so completely spoiled, she is so loved. My parents are in Heaven and are the perfect grandparents.

Grandma's girl!

Calais is our everything and we have the most amazing time loving her and getting to know her little personality. She is our princess and we can't wait to watch her grow and get to know her big personality.
Mommy and Daddy love you Calais!!!!

Christening the couch! 

First bow! How adorable! 

 Sleepy girl. Birth is hard!

She doesn't know how to feel about the first time in the swing. 

Thank Heaven's for pacifiers! 

Her 'meeting my adoring public' face. 

Mommy, I'm so tired and you keep taking pictures....

2 comments:

Raysofsunshine

Thank you for sharing this sweet experience! I love you so much and I am so glad that you are finally part of the "Mommy" club! Treasure EVERY minute they go by so fast!!!

Unknown

She is a real cuttie. I hope I will be able to come to Utah next year and meet her personnaly ;) Children are a blessing (I know it I was one not a long time ago ;)
Lots of love from the other side of the pond

Post a Comment